April 6, 2011

April 5

It's Tuesday. This week has gone by pretty slowly.

I went to Abraham's Altar tonight, it was really good. Followed that up by talking with some friends for a while, and just been chillin in the room the rest of the night.

Les Mis is going to take me even longer to read now, because I picked up another book on Sunday that I'm reading right now. It's called A Praying Life by Paul Miller, and I've really enjoyed it so far. He has a lot of great things to say, and I'm looking forward to what I can learn from the rest of the book as well. Prayer is definitely an area of my life that I need to grow in; it has always seemed ritualistic and impersonal to me. In only the first few chapters that I've read, I've seen applications to my own life and thoughts in the text, so that's been really cool. A few times, it felt as if he was speaking directly to me, which I suppose is a good thing in a book like that. It definitely has lessons that I need to learn. A book I read last year introduced the Jesus Prayer to me, which I had never heard before:

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

This prayer, while simple and short, really strikes a chord with me. I like the simplicity of it, yet the implications of it are far from simple. It is a constant reminder of our helplessness and our need for Christ. As this book pointed out, it is important for me to realize my helplessness, because that in turn leads to a life more reliant on prayer and communication with God. If we realize and truly believe that we cannot do anything in our own power, why would we not constantly be petitioning at the throne for power and strength to carry out God's will in our lives? That's just something that I need to think strongly about, and hopefully some readers will take a minute to consider it as well.

I'll post some more thoughts as I continue reading this wonderful book.

My mama went and pre-ordered my iPad today, and I'm pretty excited about getting it. Hopefully either this weekend or next weekend I'll be in Chatt. and they will have the one I ordered. We'll see. It's no big rush, I guess.

Not much else is new; I've got small groups tomorrow, so I'm pretty excited about those. I have a Transition test Friday that is gonna be a killer, so that'll be where my time goes in the next two days. We'll talk soon. By that I mean I'll talk, and you'll read.

Please do leave a comment in the new box on the left! I found it and thought it was so cool, but no one has put a comment yet and now I kinda feel like a loser. So I guess we'll see if that changes.

Corey



No comments: